The day has arrived! It’s time to get those braces removed or to do away with those aligners! But what comes next? Our team at Thacker Orthodontics is here to provide you with a guide for what to expect when you get your braces off.
Three, Two, One
In our office, we offer three alignment options:
- We carry Invisalign and Invisalign for teens, which are transparent aligners that offer a super subtle treatment.
- Metal braces are the most economical option and are usually the most common treatment for our pediatric patients. We proudly offer Pitts 21 metal braces.
- Clear braces (aka ceramic braces) will match the color of your teeth while behaving like their metal counterparts.
Removing Traditional Braces
Everyone’s experience will be slightly different with orthodontic treatment, but this is a good general outline of expectations in the removal period.
- Revealed Transformation: We share your excitement for the big reveal! Dr. Jim or Dr. MaryEvan may provide you with a mirror at your appointment, allowing you to admire the new alignment of your teeth in detail! A lot of times, this moment makes it all feel worthwhile.
- Sensitivity: This is a very common issue in patients, especially directly after removal. It won’t last long!
- Smooth Teeth: The contrast between the texture of your teeth with and without your appliance can be a little jarring—but in a good way!
- Relief and Comfort: Traditional braces are notorious for their tightness and pressure on the teeth to shift them into place. You’ll no longer have to deal with that manner of discomfort once they’re off.
- Dental Cleaning: A final cleaning might be a wise choice to remove any residual plaque or adhesive from the surface of your teeth.
- Final Adjustments: In some cases, we opt to make final adjustments to your teeth, like mild shaping or polishing, to achieve seamless results.
- Retainers: These devices play a pivotal role in helping you keep the newly achieved alignment of your smile, preventing regression. Our team will provide you with a thorough explanation of how and when to wear your retainer, which you need to pay close attention to.
- Follow-up Appointments: We will see you at least one more time when your braces are removed to check in on the progress of your treatment. It’s also key to attend your regular dental check-ups to maintain optimal oral health.
- Aftercare Instructions: If you have special or inhibitive conditions, these will be addressed in our aftercare instructions. In addition to retainer instructions, we’ll also elaborate on how your diet can adjust.
You’ll notice some commonalities in the results after completing Invisalign, but also a number of differences. These treatments have the same goal but go about them in different ways.
- Removal of Aligners: Wearing your aligners for 22-24 hours a day shall be a thing of the past! Your diet will be much more flexible, and you won’t have to constantly tend to your appliance.
- Teeth Sensitivity: As with the other types of braces, mild sensitivity may occur when you discontinue the use of your Invisalign aligners. Again, this shouldn’t last a long while. Be aware of potential triggers like temperature.
- Retainers: One benefit of having Invisalign is that you’ve already used a removable appliance—which a retainer is! This means you’re already well-versed with a lot of the steps to care for this new device.
- Orthodontic Check-up: Once again, there’ll be a follow-up appointment to evaluate any remaining concerns and to address any final cosmetic alterations to your smile we deem necessary.
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance: Brushing and flossing every single day is vital to your quality of dental health. This is a big part of the Invisalign process, so hopefully, you’ve already established good habits. Keep it up!
- Adjustments to Daily Routine: You’ll no longer have to remove and clean your appliance after each meal, which can free up some time in your daily routine. But retainers will also require responsibility and consistent use.
- Whitening or Cosmetic Procedures: If an additional cosmetic treatment was integrated into your plan, either with us or with a collaborating specialist, you’ll be discussing the timing of these processes with one of our doctors. Generally speaking, we’ll place them after your alignment treatment is completed.
Bye Bye, Braces! Hello, Straight Teeth!
Orthodontic treatment is a commitment that can span months or years—so be proud of yourself for finishing strong! Our team works in tandem with you during your journey and joins with you in this celebration. If you’re interested in orthodontic treatment options, come visit us in our Cincinnati (513-854-0339) or Hillsboro (937-583-6482) offices!