A lot of potential patients don’t realize what goes into orthodontic treatment—and how closely we work with them to ensure perfect results. Our incredible team at Thacker Orthodontics will answer this question and more: How do orthodontists create a custom treatment plan for each patient?
What Does An Orthodontist Do?
Orthodontists are actually dental specialists. Typically, your general dentist will be the one to refer you to us. As orthodontists, we’re experts in treating issues that usually revolve around tooth or jaw alignment. Here are a few reasons you might receive a referral:
- Spacing Issues
- Impacted Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
Three Treatment Options
There are three types of aligning treatments in most practices. Once Dr. Jim or Dr. MaryEvan has decided which of these is the right fit for you, they will proceed with a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Metal braces are a durable, dependable option that has been used for decades to treat patients of all ages.
- Clear braces, also known as ceramic braces, are an effective alternative that cost a bit more than metal braces but are popular for matching the patient’s tooth color.
- We are thrilled to provide Invisalign and Invisalign Teen, which are the most subtle choices available.
How It Works
Each patient is unique, and as a result, their experiences will vary subtly. However, our approach to diagnosis, planning, and treatment shares many commonalities, offering you a reliable framework to anticipate what to expect from our service.
- Initial Assessment: Our primary focus during this stage is the thorough examination of your teeth, jaws, and facial structure. This usually involves capturing comprehensive data through photos and x-rays.
- Diagnosis: In this step, we meticulously analyze the gathered information to identify specific dental issues requiring correction, such as misalignments or overcrowding.
- Treatment Options/Planning: Post-diagnosis, we formulate a detailed plan of action. We’ll explore various treatment options with you, addressing your questions and delving into the pros and cons of each choice. Specialized treatments for more severe issues are also considered.
- Final Discussions: Our experienced doctors present a comprehensive plan that outlines necessary procedures, provides a general timeline for treatment, and addresses potential challenges that may arise.
- Financial Planning: At Thacker Orthodontics, we are committed to making treatment accessible. We proactively discuss payment plans, taking into account factors such as insurance coverage and overall cost.
- Initiation of Treatment: The initial phase of your treatment is determined based on our discussions and may involve providing you with clear aligners or the application of braces.
- Monitoring and Adjustments: Regular visits to our office are crucial to your treatment. We closely monitor progress, make necessary adjustments to appliances, and address any required repairs. While orthodontic emergencies are rare, we are here to assist you if they occur.
- Completion and Retention: As you complete the active phase of your treatment, we transition to the stage where retainers are worn to preserve and maintain your results.
- Follow-Up Care: We schedule periodic follow-up appointments to ensure the stability of your new smile and proactively prevent any potential relapse. Your ongoing oral health and satisfaction with the results remain our top priorities.
Other Key Considerations
There are a lot of variables to consider, of course, but here are a few additional factors we keep in mind when planning:
- Age of Patient: Orthodontic treatment is applicable to individuals of all age groups, yet the approach varies significantly among children, teenagers, and adults. When dealing with children, their comfort and compliance are top priorities. Our collaboration extends closely to parents or guardians, overseeing and supporting the child’s orthodontic experience outside of our office.
- Patient Preferences: The selection of orthodontic appliances may not always present a wide array of choices. Certain conditions may necessitate traditional braces, even if a patient expresses a preference for a more discreet option like Invisalign. However, we can explore compromises and alternatives, such as ceramic braces, which may serve as a middle ground.
- Effective Communication: Recognizing the importance of effective communication is often underestimated in this process. Imagine receiving your initial set of Invisalign trays and being left to navigate the process independently. Our commitment is to offer guidance throughout your journey with these new tools, ensuring you’re supported at every step.
With all of this in mind, we hope it’s clear to you that we are well-equipped to partner with you on your orthodontic journey! We have two amazing Ohio offices that are the perfect destination for your next treatment, especially if it’s your first. You can contact the Thacker Orthodontics team at our Cincinnati (513-854-0339) or Hillsboro (937-583-6482) offices by phone.